David Lynch
Film Review
Inland Empire is an epic 3 hour wank. It was the equivalent to seeing a prog rock band on a jazz wigout - some genius moments, but mostly a pile of horse shite. How the critics loved it so much is beyond me. It was just David Lynch going "oo, look at me. I'm so clever". What a cock. Give me David Cronenberg any day.
To be honest, I always thought Lynch was overrated. Lost Highway was enjoyable, the Straight Story was just about good and I admit I haven't seen much else but he never struck me as an amazing, innovative film maker the press insisted he was. The little darling
I remember Eraserhead. That was one fucked up film, mostly enjoyable for the hair style of the lead. It was okay.
The film, centering on the possible realities of the lead, does have an excellent performance from Laura Dem. And the film certainly does have genius moments: at least 45 minutes of the 3 hours were intense, dark, truly scary and really quite brilliant. The camera and visuals are fantastic, too. The use of colours through the digital cameras is great and innovative. But 45 minutes does not a good 3 hour film make.
Maybe if I had not have spent the last hour wanting to pee but not wanting to miss any chance of “understanding” the plot, it would have been a more enjoyable. But with that said it did go on for 3 hours with no real plot, only bits of lines of story to grasp to and to pretentiously discuss what it was about afterwards.
"I thought it was questioning the reality of Hollywood, under a post-neo-fascist-pre-violent-liberal-hippy-troglodyte-moose-breeding-woodsmans-daughters-sons-point of view." Cock.
The story was made up of 3 or 4 realities, all based around the making of a film of a Polish (I think) folktale and Dems character. The stories, in themselves, are pretty comprehensable but the way one goes to another makes the film more or less unfollowable. The effect of this makes the film look like a stream of conciousness, both film making and script wise. Very little self-editing, very self-gratifying and perhaps purposely thinking “this makes no sense. Excellent!”
Save for a bit of visuals, and around 45 minutes, this is a pretentious waste of time that everybody else will love, mostly because they “don't get it! HA!" Whilst I just sat there thinking I could be in the pub thinking that I could be in the cinema watching a Lynch film for 3 hours.
No comments:
Post a Comment